1. Chinese Government Scholarship Program
It was established by MOEC in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between Chinese government and governments of other countries, education organs, institutions and relevant international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. The program supports students who come to study in China as undergraduates, postgraduates, Chinese language students, general scholars and senior scholars.
Applicants may apply for the scholarship through the competent authorities, appointed institutions or the Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries.
2. Details of the Chinese Government Scholarships
Chinese Government Scholarship is divided into full scholarship and partial scholarship.
1) Full scholarship:
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation;
- Living allowance and a one-off settlement subsidy;
-Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- A hard-seat train ticket between the port of entry on registration or the port of departure on graduation and the city where the host university or the university of Chinese language studies is located (a hard-berth train ticket for over-night trip).
2) Partial scholarship: One or some items of the full scholarship (one-off settlement subsidy and one-off inter-city travel allowance not included).
3) International travel expenses: Applicants are expected to meet their own international travel expenses unless it is set otherwise in bilateral agreements or arrangements.
For more information about the above scholarships, please refer Application Procedures.
3. Application for Chinese Government Scholarships
1) Application and Recruitment
The application season for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program is from January to April. Details on the application procedures should be consulted directly to the dispatching organization in the applicant’s home country.
2) Scholarship Application
Applicants should meet the basic qualifications prescribed in the Application Procedures, and must fill in the application forms strictly in accordance with requirements. They also need to provide relevant application materials including notarized photocopies of diplomas, transcripts, study plan, health certificate and recommendation letters. Application materials for scholarships must reach CSC before the deadline as specified in Application Procedures via the embassy in China or the Chinese diplomatic missions in the applicant’s home country. Application materials that arrive after the deadline will not be processed. Please check the attached Application Procedures for details.
Application materials will not be returned regardless of the result of application. Documents such as original diplomas and original Foreign Physical Examination Form must NOT be sent as application materials.
4. Recruitment of Scholarship Students
1) CSC will review all the application materials sent by the appointed authorities. CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the proposed institutions, specialties and duration of the applicant’s study in China. The application will not be processed if it is inconsistent with the recruitment requirements or the application materials are incomplete. Qualified applications will be forwarded to the institutions and the final decision whether to admit the applicants or not will be made by them.
2) If the applicant has been accepted by an institution (115 institutions specified by MOEC listed in the Directory) prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose the relevant admission letters.
3) Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese institutions of higher education will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship with endorsement from the MOEC.
4) CSC will send the List of Accepted Students, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study In China (JW201)to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31, so as to have the documents forwarded to the students.
5. Visa Application and Registration in China
1) Visa Application
Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program should apply for visa to study in China at the Chinese embassy or consulate-general with the original documents and one set of photocopies of the Admission Notice, Visa Application for Study In China (JW201) and Foreigner Physical Examination Form and valid ordinary passport. Those whose study period in China is above 6 month need to apply for an X visa, and those who shall stay in China for less than 6 months (including 6 months) should apply for an F visa. The scholarship students must enter China with the original copies of the above documents. Whoever comes to China with other types of passports, visas or without the original documents will not be able to register with the institution, nor will they be able to apply for a residence permit in China.
International students must register with the institution at the time specified in the Admission Notice. Those who are unable to register on time must seek permission from the institution directly. Those who fail to register without the prior consent of the institution will be considered as voluntarily giving up their enrollment and the scholarship will automatically be withdrawn.
3) Health Verification and Residence Registration
Health verification: Scholarship holders who are to stay in China for more than 6 months are requested to bring their passports, Admission Notice, and the original copies of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form and the Blood Test Report to the local quarantine office within the set time to have their medical examination verified. International students whose Foreigner Physical Examination Forms do not meet the requirement will have to re-take the medical examination. Those who refuse to re-take the medical examination or are diagnosed as suffering from diseases that are not permitted to enter China under the Chinese laws and regulations will be required to leave China. The costs of medical examination and the international travel should be born by themselves.
Residence registration: After the health verification, the scholarship holders must apply for residence permit to the local police authority within 30 days on their arrival with their passports, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study In China (JW201).